Station 1 – Cranial Nerves
– Test four cranial nerves (2,3,8,11).
– Explain components of each test and summarise.
Station 2 – ECG
– Carry out 20 second trace for each lead.
– Interpret results for trace taken a few weeks ago for patient and a recent trace taken.
– Calculate mean heart rate.
– Why would stress cause HR to increase?
Station 3 – Drug dilution
– Drug calculations.
– Asked to dilute drug.
Station 4 – Patient history
– Take history for patient.
– Including SOCRATES.
Station 5 – Limb anatomy
– Proximal end of femur.
– Ligaments of hip joint.
– Muscles of the hamstrings.
– Sciatic nerve identification and effects of damage.
– Pulse points of the lower limb.
Station 6 – Genetic pedigree
– Draw genetic pedigree for patient who is wanting to start a family but is worried about Tay Sachs as there is family history of it.
– Interpret what mode of inheritance.
– Would like to include pedigree in portfolio, what steps need to be taken first according to GMC.